- If a Student withdraws from their course of study before the completion date, they may be eligible for a refund of fees.
- The refund conditions must align with our obligations as a member school of SIEBA (Schools International Education Business Association) and the International Student Application Form and Contract of Enrolment.
- In every case, the School undertakes to look fairly at requests for a refund of fees or part-fees.
- The School will consider all requests received in writing to the Principal for a refund of International School Learner's fees. Requests must be made in writing to the School as soon as possible after the circumstances leading to a request.
- A request for a refund should provide the following information to the School:
- The name of the Student;
- The circumstances of the request;
- The amount of refund requested;
- The name of the person requesting the refund;
- The name of the person who paid the fees;
- The bank account details to receive any eligible refund; and
- Any relevant supporting documentation such as receipts or invoices.
4. Unless otherwise agreed in writing, all refunds will be paid into the nominated bank account, which may be a bank account in the source country. Fees incurred by the School for payments into a foreign bank account will be deducted from the refund.
5. The School is unable to refund some types of fees. The following fees relate to expenses that the school may have paid or will incur as a result of receiving an application for enrolment and cannot be refunded:
- Administration Fee: Administration fees meet the cost of processing an International School Learner's application. Administration fees exist whether an application is accepted or not or whether a Student remains enrolled after an application is accepted;
- Insurance: Once insurance is purchased, the School is unable to refund insurance premiums paid on behalf of the Student. Students and families may apply directly to the insurance company for a refund of premiums paid;
- Used Homestay Fees: Homestay fees paid for the time the Student has already spent in a homestay cannot be refunded. Used homestay fees will include a notice period of two weeks;
- Portion of Unused Tuition Fees: The School may retain a portion of unused tuition fees. Amounts retained will relate to costs that have been incurred or committed by the School and may vary; and
- Other Costs Incurred: Any other costs already incurred.
Request for a Refund Prior to Enrolment
- If the Student fails to obtain an appropriate study visa, a refund of International School Learner's tuition fees will be provided less any Administration Fee that has been paid.
- If the Student withdraws before the start of their enrolment, owing to medical or travel conditions arising from Covid19, the School will provide a full refund of fees.
Request for a Refund – voluntary withdrawal prior to enrolment:
7.If the Student voluntarily withdraws prior to the start date of their enrolment, a refund of International School Learner's fees will be provided less any relevant non-fundable fees set out in this policy.
Request for a Refund – voluntary withdrawal after enrolment:
8. The ten week notice period will begin the day after the date on which the School receives written notice of the Student’s intention to withdraw.
9. If the Student voluntarily withdraws on or after the start date of their enrolment, reasonable written notice of withdrawal is required.
10. Unless otherwise agreed by the School, a refund will be provided less a minimum of ten (10) weeks tuition fee and any other relevant non-fundable fees set out in this policy.
Request for a refund for enrolment of one term or less
11. Where the Student is enrolled for one term or less and withdrawals early, or where the School terminates the Student’s enrolment, any unused portion of International School Learner's fees will not be refunded
Request for a Refund – where the School fails to provide a course, ceases as a signatory, or ceases to be a provider:
12. If the School fails to provide the agreed course of education or is no longer a signatory to The Education (Pastoral Care of Tertiary and International Learners) Code of Practice 2021, or no longer operates as an international education provider, the School will negotiate with the Student or their family to either:
- Refund the unused portion of the International School Learners tuition fee or other fees paid for services not delivered; or
- Transfer the amount of any eligible refund to another provider; or
- Make other arrangements agreed to by the Student or their family and the School.
Where the Student’s enrolment is ended by the School:
13. In the event the Student’s enrolment is ended by the School for breach of the Contract of Enrolment, the School will consider a request for a refund less:
- any non-refundable fees set out in this policy;
- ten weeks tuition fee from the date of termination; and
- any other reasonable costs that the School has incurred in ending the Student’s enrolment.
If an International Fee-Paying Student changes to a domestic student during the period of enrolment
14. If the Student changes to a domestic student after the start date of their enrolment, reasonable written notice of the change is required by the School. Unless otherwise agreed by the School, a refund will be provided less a minimum of ten weeks tuition fee and any other relevant non-fundable fees set out in this policy. The ten week notice period will begin the day after the date on which the School receives written notice of the Student’s domestic student status. As a domestic Student, the Student will be required to live within the School’s zone.
If an international fee-paying student requests to transfer to another signatory:
15. If the Student requests to transfer to another signatory after the start date of their enrolment, reasonable written notice of the transfer is required by the School. Unless otherwise agreed by the School, a refund will be provided less a minimum of ten weeks tuition fee and any other relevant non-fundable fees set out in this policy. The ten week notice period will begin the day after the date on which the School receives written notice of the Student’s intention to withdraw.
Request for a Refund - of Homestay Fees
16. If for any reason, the Student withdraws after the start date of their enrolment, any unused homestay fees will be refunded, less any relevant non-fundable fees set out in this policy.
17. Where a Student moves from a School homestay and requests a refund any unused homestay fees, will be refunded less any relevant non-fundable fees set out in this policy.
Request for a Refund - of Fees Unused at the end of Enrolment
18. Except by written request from parents, prepaid fees unused at the end of enrolment amounting to less than NZ$500 will be refunded to the Students nominated bank account. Sums of NZ$500 or greater will be refunded into a bank account nominated by the Student’s parents.
Outstanding Activity or Other Fees
19. Any activity or other fees incurred by the Student during enrolment and owed to the School at the time of withdrawal, will be deducted from any eligible refund.
20. In exceptional circumstances, refunds may be granted on compassionate grounds (e.g. death of a close family member, serious illness, accident).
21. All such refunds will be at the discretion of the Principal.
Rights of families after a decision regarding a refund has been made
22. A decision by the School relating to a request for a refund of an International School Learners fees will be provided to the Student or their parent or legal guardian in writing and will set out the following information:
- Factors considered when making the refund decision;
- The total amount to be refunded; and
- Details of non-refundable fees.
23. The Student and the their parent or legal guardian has the right to take a grievance to the Code Administrator or Disputes Resolution Scheme in the event they are dissatisfied with a refund decision made by the School.
24. The New Zealand Immigration Service will be notified if any Student ceases to attend Newlands College for whatever reason.
25. The Principal shall institute Procedure pursuant to this Policy.
26. This policy will be reviewed as part of the annual self-review.