APPROVED SUBJECTS FOR UNIVERSITY ENTRANCE
Further information about University Entrance requirements can be obtained from the NZQA website.
Technology – hard materials
Technology - soft materials
Te Reo Māori
UNIVERSITY ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS
- Achievement of NCEA Level 3
(60 credits at Level 3 or higher and 20 credits at Level 2 or higher)
- 14 credits in each of three subjects from the list of approved subjects
- The remaining credits to achieve NCEA Level 3 may come from either achievement or unit standards.
- UE numeracy - 10 credits at Level 1 or higher from specified achievement standards or three specific numeracy unit standards.
- UE literacy - 10 credits (five in reading and five in writing) from:
- specific Level 2 and higher achievement standards, or specific Te Reo Māori and Te Reo Rangatira Level 2 standards, or
- two specific Level 4 English for academic purposes unit standards, or
- an academic literacy common assessment tool (CAT) and Level 3 (no credit value, run by NZQA).
Your rank score will be calculated by awarding points: E = 4, M = 3, A = 2: for example:
RESTRICTED ENTRY TO UNIVERSITY
Most universities are currently implementing a “Guaranteed Entry Score” as well as the 42 credit requirement described above.
For example at Victoria University, the Guaranteed Entry Score from NCEA is 120 points for all undergraduate degrees. Your NCEA rank score will be based on your 80 best credits in University Entrance approved subjects at Level 3 or higher, and weighted by the level of achievement. You can count both achievement standards and unit standards.
*All Level 3 or higher approved subjects can be counted.
*A maximum of 24 credits in each subject may be counted.
*If you have achieved fewer than 80 credits at Level 3 or higher the rank score will be based on those you have achieved.
Your rank score will be calculated by awarding points: E = 4, M = 3, A = 2: for example….
Entrance to some university courses is also restricted. For example at Auckland University many courses have entry requirements:
e.g. Bachelor of Technology – Rank Score 220
Bachelor of Nursing – Rank Score 280
Bachelor of Physical Education – Rank Score – 140
Some courses also have specific subject requirements. These can be checked out on the websites.
You are encouraged to get detailed information from the university websites. This information can sometimes change during the year so regular checks are also advised. The website addresses are:
Auckland University - Auckland
Canterbury University - Canterbury
Lincoln University - Lincoln
Massey University - Massey
Otago University - Otago
Victoria University - Victoria
Waikato University - Waikato