‘Kia kaha te reo Māori’ - Let’s make the Māori language strong
Newlands College provides a variety of opportunities for akoranga and matauranga. We seek to:
- Create a positive environment for the use of Māori language throughout the school.
- Promote Māori language initiatives and events. Ahakoa iti, akona, kōrerohia (learn a little, use a little).
- Encourage teachers to use reo Māori.
- Encourage speakers of Māori to support others who are just starting out.
- Promote resources to make the Māori language more accessible.
To do this our learners participate in the following:
- Powhiri (waiata and haka)
- Ra Haka
- Komiti Māori
- Ngā manu korero
We strive to Whakahau i ētahi atu ki te kōrero, ki te ako hoki i te reo Māori; whakauruamai hoki te reo Māori ki tōu ao - encourage all students and teachers to learn and use te reo Māori and welcome Māori into their lives.
FYI - see the links below on: